[I wrote this about a week ago and I forgot to post it then. I'm actually putting this up while at the airport. I'm going to upload the rest of my work that is saved on my computer when I get internet in hk or now if i have a chance. Happy spring break 10:30 English class]
I sit with my computer resting on my lap and I find myself doing nothing yet again. As the rain falls outside on a dull Monday afternoon, I ask myself “what am I doing?” The obvious answer is that I am trying to think up ideas for a post on my English blog. Well, I guess that is a lie. I am trying to think up more ideas for a post on my blog. I have tons of stuff I could write about. Though, for some reason or another, I don’t. For example, that awesome story idea will probably end up boring and stupid and that movie idea doesn’t really relate to my essential questions. I continue to prod my train of thought along the tracks of creativity, hoping that sooner or later, something fresh and interesting will magically appear. I change the song playing through my headphones, reaching for the slim chance that new music might bring new thoughts.
After a little while, I thought about my ideas for blog posts. Now, when I started my brainstorming, I had a tone of ideas. However, one by one, I rejected them all. At the time, I simply didn’t give this much thought because I was too preoccupied with blog posts. Now that I have actually started writing, I think I have the reason. They are too personal. The majority of my ideas and thought are intimately about me or my close friends. Although I don’t feel this way often when posting, today I don’t really feel completely comfortable writing about involving the people around me. I feel this way because my friends and English teacher and anyone with and internet could read this, and to be honest, I feel that I shouldn’t put everything down.
On a completely different note, I feel more restricted in my posting now, as opposed to when the blog was just my common place book. Now that there is a group of students that are going to be specifically reading our blogs and I have to relate all of my posts to my essential questions, I feel more restrictions on what I can post about. Another limiting thing is that we are not allowed to post papers including the name of our school and other stuff. I lie trapped between writing about stuff that I’m not allowed to or I don’t want to and not having as many ideas about stuff I can write about.
Well, my writers block has vanished leaving me with many a new idea for tomorrow’s rambling posts.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I totally understand where you're comming from Daniel, how you can get writers block, but more over how open this way of writing is. We have to keep it universal but yet you don't want people knowing everything about you.
Ah, you are raising all the right questions about blog posting Danial San. Who is this for? Why do we write? What do I want to say? How do I want to be understood?
I like to see you navigating these troubled waters!
Post a Comment